Skip to main content

Canadian Economy Springs Back to Life!

Canadian economy to spring back into life

Once again, Canada looks to the US for signs of life and after more than three years, the U.S. is poised for economic recovery.

 As dependent as the country is on the economic health of the United States, and indeed, the rest of the world, the government’s fiscal policy and the Bank of Canada’s astute predictions, have put us in a solid position for future growth, despite the slowdown in the real estate sector and manufacturing sectors.

On a positive note, U.S. housing starts surged 12.1 per cent in December, the fastest since June 2008.  Economic recoveries are usually led by a surge in home building. Banks offer low interest rates, and consumers take advantage to buy big items like houses. Then they buy furniture and other items to put into their homes. Construction companies start to hire, which bumps up consumer demand for goods and services, then economic growth bops along at a nice pace.

The U.S. Fed chairman Ben Bernanke said that 2013 could be a “very good” year. The early signals are good ones, which is also a good sign for the Canadian economy and the jobs market and the real estate market.

In Canadian real estate, there has been a slowdown in a few areas of the country -- Vancouver is one -- with prices and sales cooling, especially in the condo market.  However, the surrounding areas of Vancouver are already showing signs of activity.

Alberta is still expected to see strong growth despite a slight slowdown in major centres. Areas outside Edmonton and Calgary are active as well.

Sakatchewan and Manitoba have not really seen a slow down, but are experiencing a lack of inventory.
Ontario is a smorgasbord of activity – slow in some areas and strong in others. Reports have Toronto’s condo sales slowing, which Finance Minister Jim Flaherty was most concerned about in Toronto as well as in Vancouver.  Mid-month figures released by the Toronto real Estate Board show a 2.5 per cent rise in home sales compared to the year-ago period.

In the Atlantic Provinces Nova Scotia is still strong.  RBC Economics predicts that Newfoundland’s economy will swing from a bottom position in the 2012 provincial growth rankings to top spot in 2013. PEI is expected to remain the same.

It will be important to watch two things. The first is employment gains. More jobs mean an increase in economic growth. Second: real estate sales trends as we move through the first quarter. The stricter guidelines imposed by the government last year had home buyers move to the sidelines. Over the next few months, we’ll be able to see if they remain there or decide to move forward towards purchasing a home.



Jan 31, 2013 From TMG Mortgage Group Blog. 


 Ariana Leroux 
 Licensed Mortgage Agent with TMG
 Leroux Mortgages
 Mobile 780.952.4087
 Email: mortgages@arianaleroux.com
 Web: www.arianaleroux.com




Popular posts from this blog

Divorce, Separation & Mortgages in Canada: What Happens to the House?

Separation and divorce can feel overwhelming. Questions start piling up fast: Who keeps the house? Can I qualify for the mortgage on my own? How does a spousal buyout work? What happens to our joint debt? Can child support or spousal support count as income? What if I’m the one paying support? What if I don’t currently have a job? What if we don’t have 20% equity in the home?  When emotions are high, housing uncertainty can become one of the most stressful parts of the process. The good news? There are mortgage solutions available in Canada specifically designed for separation and divorce situations — and most people do not even know they exist. As a licensed mortgage broker, this is something I help clients through every single week. The mortgage side of separation does not have to be the hardest part. The Biggest Question: “Can I Keep the House?” In many cases, yes — it may be possible. Canada’s mortgage insurers, including Canada Guaranty , CMHC , and Sagen , offe...

Are You Paired With the RIGHT Mortgage Product & Rate? Did you even think to ask?

That seems to be a question that not a lot of people ask. "Am I in the right mortgage product & rate?" Everyone is so caught up in getting the lowest rate possible, that it is a race to the bottom instead of stopping and looking at the full picture. According to a survey done by CIBC and posted with The Toronto Star , Canadians do not think they will mortgage free till 57! Now is this due to people getting mortgages later in life; due to purchase price and down payments?? ... yes I believe partially this is the case. However I think the bigger problem is no long term thinking is being done. With the boom in 2007, it was the big push to "refinance your life" into your mortgage; so cars, boats, quads, credit cards, etc all build into your mortgage to give you a lower over all payment.... but does this help reduce mortgage debt? There were also those 40 year amortizations and mortgaging over 100% of your homes value. None of these things help anyone to pay o...

New and Improved Website Coming Soon... and some updates! :)

I am so happy to announce that I will be having a new website I am designing! What a learning curve I can tell you - I had someone plug in the theme to use and help with some charts and pictures but I am happy to say I have been the one to put it mostly together! I think however I will stick to Mortgage Building vs Web Building! lol, I am way better at the former than the latter that is true. Speaking of mortgages, as you already know the Bank of Canada has already left the overnight rate as is... so what does that mean for you? The lenders are still offering stable rates with nothing really going up to high or down to low... rates have been pretty consistant. The thing that has not remained steady are mortgage products. Most lenders have now all followed suit in regards to using a 3% payment caculation on all unsecured lines of credit and credit cards vs using the provable payment. This makes things I find tight for First Time Buyers when looking at what they qualify for. For exampl...