Skip to main content

Canada Bank Watchdog to Take Role in Housing Market

  

Thurs April 26, 2012 12:15 PM EDT
By Louise Egan
OTTAWA (Reuters) - In a further effort to prevent the housing market from getting overheated, Canada's bank regulator will oversee the commercial activities of the federal housing agency under legislation introduced by the government on Thursday.
In announcing the legislation, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said he was giving the bank regulator, the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI), the job of making sure that the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp (CMHC) doesn't stoke an already hot market.
"I've been concerned about the CMHC for some time in the sense that it's become an important financial institution in Canada, and it was not subject to the same supervision by the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions," Flaherty told a news conference.
"So I think this is an important step forward."
Flaherty has tightened mortgage rules three times since 2008 to try to reduce the risk of a housing bubble, and declined to say if Thursday's regulatory move marked the end of his interventions.
"We watch the market closely, and I particularly watch the condo market in Vancouver, Toronto and to some extent in Montreal as well," he said.
"We continue to monitor the housing and mortgage market and we will take action as necessary."
The bill also provides a legislative framework for covered bonds, which are mortgage-backed securities that are sold by banks and guaranteed by the CMHC. The legislation will establish a registry for institutions that issue covered bonds and for covered bond programs.
Once the bill passes Parliament, OSFI will monitor CMHC's commercial activities and report to the finance minister, the CMHC board of directors and the human resources minister.
CMHC's commercial activities include providing insurance for higher mortgages and guarantees for mortgage-backed securities issued by banks.
Some experts have expressed concerns about Canada's housing market, with property prices seen as overvalued in some cities and in the condo market specifically. The role played by CMHC in fueling the boom has come under scrutiny.
"I believe that the federal government's plan to bring CMHC under the direct supervision of the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions is long overdue," said Louis Gagnon, a professor at Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario.
"OSFI is responsible for the oversight of insurance companies and it only makes sense to bring CMHC under its purview, since CMHC is the most systematically important insurance entity in the land and also the most vulnerable one," he said.
The changes are included in a budget implementation bill that follows up on several measures contained in the Conservative government's March 29 budget.
Separately, OSFI is now also tightening mortgage underwriting criteria for banks.
The bill also provides for the protection of covered bond contracts and collateral in the event an issuer goes bankrupt, and it prohibits the issue of covered bonds except within the government's framework.
It says CMHC can only guarantee covered bonds with the approval of the finance minister.
The legislation also contains proposed amendments to the Telecommunications Act to lift foreign investment restrictions on telecom companies that hold less than a 10-percent market share.
(Additional reporting by Randall Palmer; Editing by Peter Galloway)
 
 

Popular posts from this blog

Divorce, Separation & Mortgages in Canada: What Happens to the House?

Separation and divorce can feel overwhelming. Questions start piling up fast: Who keeps the house? Can I qualify for the mortgage on my own? How does a spousal buyout work? What happens to our joint debt? Can child support or spousal support count as income? What if I’m the one paying support? What if I don’t currently have a job? What if we don’t have 20% equity in the home?  When emotions are high, housing uncertainty can become one of the most stressful parts of the process. The good news? There are mortgage solutions available in Canada specifically designed for separation and divorce situations — and most people do not even know they exist. As a licensed mortgage broker, this is something I help clients through every single week. The mortgage side of separation does not have to be the hardest part. The Biggest Question: “Can I Keep the House?” In many cases, yes — it may be possible. Canada’s mortgage insurers, including Canada Guaranty , CMHC , and Sagen , offe...

New and Improved Website Coming Soon... and some updates! :)

I am so happy to announce that I will be having a new website I am designing! What a learning curve I can tell you - I had someone plug in the theme to use and help with some charts and pictures but I am happy to say I have been the one to put it mostly together! I think however I will stick to Mortgage Building vs Web Building! lol, I am way better at the former than the latter that is true. Speaking of mortgages, as you already know the Bank of Canada has already left the overnight rate as is... so what does that mean for you? The lenders are still offering stable rates with nothing really going up to high or down to low... rates have been pretty consistant. The thing that has not remained steady are mortgage products. Most lenders have now all followed suit in regards to using a 3% payment caculation on all unsecured lines of credit and credit cards vs using the provable payment. This makes things I find tight for First Time Buyers when looking at what they qualify for. For exampl...

Are You Paired With the RIGHT Mortgage Product & Rate? Did you even think to ask?

That seems to be a question that not a lot of people ask. "Am I in the right mortgage product & rate?" Everyone is so caught up in getting the lowest rate possible, that it is a race to the bottom instead of stopping and looking at the full picture. According to a survey done by CIBC and posted with The Toronto Star , Canadians do not think they will mortgage free till 57! Now is this due to people getting mortgages later in life; due to purchase price and down payments?? ... yes I believe partially this is the case. However I think the bigger problem is no long term thinking is being done. With the boom in 2007, it was the big push to "refinance your life" into your mortgage; so cars, boats, quads, credit cards, etc all build into your mortgage to give you a lower over all payment.... but does this help reduce mortgage debt? There were also those 40 year amortizations and mortgaging over 100% of your homes value. None of these things help anyone to pay o...