Skip to main content

BOC to KEEP RATE.....

From October 23, 2012, The Bank left its policy rate unchanged, which means that prime rate should exit 2012 at the same level it’s been for 25 months, 3.00%.
Carney & co. said that, “Over time, some modest withdrawal of monetary policy stimulus will likely be required.” That’s vaguer than prior projections but still a signal that the next rate move should be up.
Here’s more from the Bank’s statement from Oct 23, 2012:
  • “Core inflation has been lower than expected in recent months…”
  • “Total CPI inflation has fallen noticeably below the 2 per cent target…and is projected to return to target by the end of 2013, somewhat later than previously anticipated.”
  • “Housing activity is expected to decline from historically high levels, while the household debt burden is expected to rise further before stabilizing by the end of the projection horizon.”
  • “The timing and degree of any such withdrawal (in rate stimulus) will be weighed carefully against global and domestic developments, including the evolution of imbalances in the household sector.”
That last line is new. The Bank’s recent statements haven’t suggested such a close link between household debt and rate increases. But it’s an implied warning that does little to convince anyone that rate hikes are looming.

The next BoC rate meeting is December 4, 2012.

 
 
Taken from Rob McLister - Canadian Mortgage Trends.com

Popular posts from this blog

Divorce, Separation & Mortgages in Canada: What Happens to the House?

Separation and divorce can feel overwhelming. Questions start piling up fast: Who keeps the house? Can I qualify for the mortgage on my own? How does a spousal buyout work? What happens to our joint debt? Can child support or spousal support count as income? What if I’m the one paying support? What if I don’t currently have a job? What if we don’t have 20% equity in the home?  When emotions are high, housing uncertainty can become one of the most stressful parts of the process. The good news? There are mortgage solutions available in Canada specifically designed for separation and divorce situations — and most people do not even know they exist. As a licensed mortgage broker, this is something I help clients through every single week. The mortgage side of separation does not have to be the hardest part. The Biggest Question: “Can I Keep the House?” In many cases, yes — it may be possible. Canada’s mortgage insurers, including Canada Guaranty , CMHC , and Sagen , offe...

New and Improved Website Coming Soon... and some updates! :)

I am so happy to announce that I will be having a new website I am designing! What a learning curve I can tell you - I had someone plug in the theme to use and help with some charts and pictures but I am happy to say I have been the one to put it mostly together! I think however I will stick to Mortgage Building vs Web Building! lol, I am way better at the former than the latter that is true. Speaking of mortgages, as you already know the Bank of Canada has already left the overnight rate as is... so what does that mean for you? The lenders are still offering stable rates with nothing really going up to high or down to low... rates have been pretty consistant. The thing that has not remained steady are mortgage products. Most lenders have now all followed suit in regards to using a 3% payment caculation on all unsecured lines of credit and credit cards vs using the provable payment. This makes things I find tight for First Time Buyers when looking at what they qualify for. For exampl...

Are You Paired With the RIGHT Mortgage Product & Rate? Did you even think to ask?

That seems to be a question that not a lot of people ask. "Am I in the right mortgage product & rate?" Everyone is so caught up in getting the lowest rate possible, that it is a race to the bottom instead of stopping and looking at the full picture. According to a survey done by CIBC and posted with The Toronto Star , Canadians do not think they will mortgage free till 57! Now is this due to people getting mortgages later in life; due to purchase price and down payments?? ... yes I believe partially this is the case. However I think the bigger problem is no long term thinking is being done. With the boom in 2007, it was the big push to "refinance your life" into your mortgage; so cars, boats, quads, credit cards, etc all build into your mortgage to give you a lower over all payment.... but does this help reduce mortgage debt? There were also those 40 year amortizations and mortgaging over 100% of your homes value. None of these things help anyone to pay o...