Skip to main content

Happy St. Patricks Day!

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY 
MARCH 17, 2013

The Competitive Mortgage Market- It Is Not Always About Rate

The recent announcement that BMO has lowered its 5-year fixed rate from 3.09% to 2.99% has caused a flurry of speculation from market analysts and warnings from the federal government.

For the past year the Bank of Canada has been warning that high household debt levels, the bulk of which come from mortgages, are the largest risk facing the country’s economy. BMO’s recent rate cut prompted Finance Minister Jim Flaherty to issue a warning to the country’s banks that he expects prudent lending practices – not the type of ‘race to the bottom’ practices that led to a mortgage crisis in the United States.

It’s clear that in our current market where homes sales have slowed and the spring buying market is kicking into gear, that competition is strong among lenders. Mortgage lending is a large part of their bottom lines.  Gord Nixon, CEO of Royal Bank of Canada, the country’s largest mortgage lender said in a conference recently, “There is no question that the Canadian banking industry is facing slightly slower growth as a result of slower mortgage demand.”

Lower rates could interest more buyers this spring, and might encourage some buyers to take out larger mortgages than they otherwise would. So, despite the government’s rule changes this past year, and despite its urgings to lenders, growing market share triumphs.

According to Canaccord Genuity analyst Mario Mendonca, BMO has been seeking to bolster its mortgage sales since it stopped using mortgage brokers about four years ago. It still has the lowest mortgage market share among the five largest banks.

The interesting part of all this is that some lenders’ fixed rates are actually lower than what BMO has advertised – the difference is that BMO actually announced it. For the past month or so mortgage brokers have had access to rates trending down from 3.04% to 2.89% for 5-year fixed to 2.69% for 3-year rates.

Mortgage consumers should also look at BMO’s product and read the fine lines because there are restrictions, which, of course, are not advertised. They include the following:

  1.  You only get 10%/10% prepayment privileges. many other lenders give homeowners the option to increase their monthly payments by 20% or more each year, as well as make lump-sum payments on the original mortgage in that same percentage range.
  2.  You can’t skip a payment or access a mortgage cash account. Skipping a payment, should you need to, is not an option.
  3.  You can’t transfer your mortgage to another lender until your term is up. Throughout your 5-year term, the only way you can refinance, transfer or payoff the balance of your mortgage, is if you stay with BMO while doing so, or sell your home. It’s not uncommon for homeowners to break their mortgages early.
While 2.99% offer may seem attractive at first, the product may not be the best one for your situation. Mortgage brokers can offer consumers similar and even lower rates, in a mortgage product that best serves the client.

(from TMG, Mortgage Blog March 7, 2013)

** now with a side note to this, I do have better rates than the 2.99% quoted in the article for qualified clients... the biggest difference than this is that they still have full bells and whistles. What I mean by that, is 15/20% pre payment options, match a payment and raise your payments by the 15/20%, as well as portability etc.... this article is right, it is not always about rate, however rate does help. You just need to be careful that rate is not ALL you focus on.....you want the rate with all the trimmings. Let me explain.... what would Christmas dinner be if you only had the Turkey? Turkey is a focal point for sure, but is that all that is needed? What about the potatoes, cranberry, gravy, pumpkin pie etc..... all together it makes Christmas Dinner ... same goes for your mortgage. You need the rate, along with all the bits and pieces :) It is something you are going to have for quite some time... but you do not want it to be forever and it needs to be done so it weathers lifes changes.

 Talking to a mortgage agent is your best option in learning all your options! Give me a call today! I think "Outside of the Box" .

Ariana Leroux
Licensed Mortgage Agent with TMG
780.952.4087 (mobile)
mortgages@arianaleroux.com
www.arianaleroux.com


Popular posts from this blog

Divorce, Separation & Mortgages in Canada: What Happens to the House?

Separation and divorce can feel overwhelming. Questions start piling up fast: Who keeps the house? Can I qualify for the mortgage on my own? How does a spousal buyout work? What happens to our joint debt? Can child support or spousal support count as income? What if I’m the one paying support? What if I don’t currently have a job? What if we don’t have 20% equity in the home?  When emotions are high, housing uncertainty can become one of the most stressful parts of the process. The good news? There are mortgage solutions available in Canada specifically designed for separation and divorce situations — and most people do not even know they exist. As a licensed mortgage broker, this is something I help clients through every single week. The mortgage side of separation does not have to be the hardest part. The Biggest Question: “Can I Keep the House?” In many cases, yes — it may be possible. Canada’s mortgage insurers, including Canada Guaranty , CMHC , and Sagen , offe...

Are You Paired With the RIGHT Mortgage Product & Rate? Did you even think to ask?

That seems to be a question that not a lot of people ask. "Am I in the right mortgage product & rate?" Everyone is so caught up in getting the lowest rate possible, that it is a race to the bottom instead of stopping and looking at the full picture. According to a survey done by CIBC and posted with The Toronto Star , Canadians do not think they will mortgage free till 57! Now is this due to people getting mortgages later in life; due to purchase price and down payments?? ... yes I believe partially this is the case. However I think the bigger problem is no long term thinking is being done. With the boom in 2007, it was the big push to "refinance your life" into your mortgage; so cars, boats, quads, credit cards, etc all build into your mortgage to give you a lower over all payment.... but does this help reduce mortgage debt? There were also those 40 year amortizations and mortgaging over 100% of your homes value. None of these things help anyone to pay o...

New and Improved Website Coming Soon... and some updates! :)

I am so happy to announce that I will be having a new website I am designing! What a learning curve I can tell you - I had someone plug in the theme to use and help with some charts and pictures but I am happy to say I have been the one to put it mostly together! I think however I will stick to Mortgage Building vs Web Building! lol, I am way better at the former than the latter that is true. Speaking of mortgages, as you already know the Bank of Canada has already left the overnight rate as is... so what does that mean for you? The lenders are still offering stable rates with nothing really going up to high or down to low... rates have been pretty consistant. The thing that has not remained steady are mortgage products. Most lenders have now all followed suit in regards to using a 3% payment caculation on all unsecured lines of credit and credit cards vs using the provable payment. This makes things I find tight for First Time Buyers when looking at what they qualify for. For exampl...